Skip to main content
The current aspect of this oratory is due to the project made in 1724 by architect Sebastiano Cipriani. His intervention transformed a building dating back to the first half of the seventeenth century, which was the result of the reconstruction of a primitive sixteenth-century chapel. The altars housed works that are now placed elsewhere or dispersed. In the four lateral niches, however, the biblical heroines are still present: Esther, Ruth, Judith and Yael. These statues were created by Gioacchino Grampini based on a design by Sebastiano Cipriani. The oratory belonged to the brotherhood of Santa Maria del Gonfalone, the richest and most influential confraternity of the city.