Skip to main content
Built between 1874 and the nineties of the century on a project by Giovanni Castelluzzi, it was named after King Vittorio Emanuele II until the end of the Second World War, when it was renamed after General Ferrante Gonzaga del Vodice, commander of the 1st “Cacciatori delle Alpi” artillery regiment of Foligno and formerly an officer in the war of Libya and in the First World War. After the armistice of September 8th, accompanied by the cry "A Gonzaga never surrenders" he refused to surrender to the German troops of Major Udo von Alvensleben and was killed by a barrage of machine guns. He was awarded the gold medal for military valor. Since 1996, the Barracks have housed the National Army Selection and Recruitment Center.